The goal of the Homeless to Hope Fund is to provide financial support and direction to community organizations supporting residents of Charleston’s Tent City in their transition to permanent housing, including transitional housing that can lead to permanent housing.
- Those seeking reimbursement must be current residents of the Tent City encampment, who are known to the Lowcountry Housing Coalition.
- Reimbursements are based on assistance provided to Individuals who are moving into either permanent housing or transitional housing that leads to permanent housing.
- Organizations seeking financial reimbursement from the Fund must submit in advance a Plan of Action that addresses the individual’s immediate as well as long-term needs in ways that reduce the likelihood that he or she will return to homelessness.
The Plan should include:
- Immediate housing placement, preferably into a permanent living situation, and the anticipated dates for such placement,
- Some form of certification or assurance that the individual will not be required to leave the permanent dwelling for reasons other than would be customary in a typical rental agreement,
- Some form of certification or assurance that the dwelling will meet basic habitability standards and include furniture, appliances and other supplies necessary for a typical household,
- A description of how the provider organization will follow-up with the individual receiving assistance to ensure that his or her basic needs are met, including access to other supportive services, and
- A budget and identification of other potential financial resources that may be available.
- Documented expenses already incurred in assisting homeless individuals in Tent City can be considered upon submission of a description of the assistance rendered and plans for supporting assisted individuals going forward. Individuals assisted must be known to the Lowcountry Homeless Coalition.
- Examples of allowable expenses are:
- Brief hotel stays while permanent housing is secured (3 days max)
- Rental deposit
- Utility deposit
- First month’s rent
- Assistance in obtaining identification necessary to securing a lease
Provider organizations will periodically report to the Lowcountry Homeless Coalition (email) on the status of individuals receiving assistance.
Requests for reimbursement should be submitted online at email@example.com
Donations of Supplies and Money
People moving into new housing need basic household supplies to get started. These supplies include furniture, especially beds, new mattresses, and tables and chairs. They also need toiletries, kitchen utensils, and clothing.
Organizations and individuals willing to donate these supplies are encouraged to contact Dexter O’Connell on the staff of Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg and make him aware of these assets, in the event they can be utilized.
Tax deductible financial donations are very important to this effort and will accelerate the re-housing of those who are currently living in Tent City. Online donations can be made by clicking the Donate button on this page or checks can be mailed to H2H-Palmetto Project, Post Office Box 21287, Charleston SC 29413.
Thank you in advance for your concern and support for those among us without a home.